I am always fascinated by color & I love bright, happy, cheerful colors for my personal clothing items. When creating patterns, I tend to lean more toward neutral color palettes. When creating needlework projects, it is easy to get stuck sometimes on what colors to use. This is where a Color Wheel will come in handy. I have a pocket color wheel so I can carry it with me to craft stores when selecting yarn for a project with more than one color.
What do different colors mean?
- RED – Red is a very emotionally intense color. It is the color of blood & fire; therefore, it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love.
Light red – joy, passion, sensitivity, and love
Pink – romance, love, and friendship
Dark red – vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing
Brown stability, masculine qualities
Reddish-brown – fall, harvest
- ORANGE – It is often thought that orange is a very “hot” color & gives the sensation of heat. However, orange is not as powerful & aggressive as red. Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity.
Dark orange – deceit, distrust
Red-orange- desire, sexual passion, pleasure, domination, aggression
Gold – illumination, wisdom, and wealth
- YELLOW – Yellow is associated with happiness, sunshine, intellect, and energy. Yellow produces a warming effect, is cheerful, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy.
Light yellow – intellect, freshness, joy
Dull yellow – caution, decay, sickness, jealousy
- GREEN – Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money. Green is said to have great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye. Green suggests stability and endurance.
Dark green – ambition, greed, and jealousy
Yellow-green – sickness, cowardice, discord, and jealousy
Aqua – healing, protection
Olive green – peace
- BLUE – Every time I see blue I think of the beach. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven. Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness.
- Dark blue – represents knowledge, power, integrity, seriousness
- Light blue – health, healing, tranquility, understanding, softness
- PURPLE – The color purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance. It is also associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.
Dark purple – gloomy, sad, frustration
Light purple – romance, nostalgia
- WHITE – The color white is associated with purity, goodness, light & innocence. White represents safety, purity, and cleanliness & emotes positive feelings.
- BLACK – The color black associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery. Black is a mysterious color which represents fear and the unknown (black holes). It usually has a negative connotation . Black denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color.
CHOOSING COLORS FOR CROCHET PROJECTS
Now that we have covered what each color means, it makes it easier to choose colors if you are making a gift for someone. Choose a color/colors that fits their personality. If you have an order from a customer, you will probably find the colors they chose (either for their home or clothing) represents their personality.
Bright colors are what I love for clothing but in my home I like calming, relaxing colors to help relieve my anxiety. My living room & hall are painted in a color called “EXHALE”. It even sounds relaxing!
In Part 2 I will discuss how to combine color choices.